Last week, I was literally pulling my closet apart looking for an outfit to wear to a conference. I KNOW you have all been there! Sometimes, even the people with the most organized closets have trouble finding exactly what they’re looking for. On this specific day that was me. It was also one of those very frequent days where everything I thought might work, just wasn’t looking great on my apple shaped body.
Finally, after trying on a few things–something we all must do from time to time, I found this:
And it looked pretty great! So I immediately turned to my husband, who was sitting in bed watching my fit, and said:
“From now on, whenever you witness me going crazy trying to find something to wear, just say ‘pencil skirt,’ and all will be right in the world!”
Finding the right skirt can be a chore for every body type, I just feel like its extra hard for the apple shaped body–because I am one. But, no matter how you look at it, we all struggle to find styles that look right and figure out ways around problem areas. So today, we talk apple!
- Avoid: Peplum style skirts or anything that brings extra fullness in the mid section.
- Look for: Sleek skirts with well constructed lines.
- Fabrication: Opt for fabrics that have a bit of a stretch in them.
- Silhouette: More tailored silhouettes will always be a better choice for an apple shaped body, but as we all know–trends happen. If you are dying to try out something fuller, try it on and see how it works on your body. Don’t feel bad if you need to put it back. NO ONE looks good in everything!
- Length: The length depends completely on your height. If you are a taller apple, look for skirts that hit right below the knee. If you are a shorter more petite apple, make sure your skirts are tailored a little bit short, hitting right above the knee. Since apple shaped bodies are known for having skinnier legs, don’t be afraid to show them off. If you decide that you want to try a skirt that is a longer length like the one in my first picture, make sure to try it on with your heels and get the opinion of a friend before purchasing!
Shop our favorite skirts for the apple shaped body: