I feel like I have always struggled with having a slow metabolism as I spent my high school and college days counting calories and working out constantly, only to do nothing more than maintain my weight. Then, for some strange reason, after I had Branden, I was finally able to lose the weight that I had been trying to get rid of for years. Maybe it was because I had him very young, but either way, something in my metabolism finally shifted. Now, as Branden is about to turn 4 years old, I feel like my “momtabolism” is starting to plateau again and using these easy ways to boost your metabolism will help get it going again. In my quest for fitness fulfillment, I have yearned for smart and natural ways to boost your metabolism and hope that you will all join me in these fun activities that help rev up your momtabolism and keep it going! Ready…set…fitness time!
Easy Ways to Boost Your Metabolism
- Get moving early in the morning in order to start revving up the momtabolism! Try setting your alarm for 15-30 minutes before you typically wake up (or before the little ones start to stir) and do some vigorous stretching or yoga.
- Want to work out as a family? We have been running relays together at our local running path. Since Branden can’t run as fast as my husband and I yet, we take turns running a 1/2 to 1 mile each and then switch, completing jumping jacks, crunches, etc. with Branden while waiting for the other to return. We repeat this about 2 times, 3 if we are feeling very ambitious. Then, we all sleep very good at night!
- Try out some new fun fitness classes! I feel like I get bored really easily with my regular fitness routine. I have been using Groupon and Living Social to try out different boot camp classes around the city. Also, Yoga to the People has become a new favorite yoga class of mine. It is a donation only yoga class, so if you only have $1 in your pocket, you can get a great work-out and hopefully be able to pay more the next time!
- Try to spice up everyday household chores! I know that we have lots of them, so it can be beneficial for your momtabolism to do them with a little bit more energy. Turn the music up and dance like no one is watching (OR, like EVERYONE is watching, for those of you who like attention, LOL!) Mop a little faster, clean a little harder, and scrub a little deeper. You can even stop and do sets on jumping jacks, sit ups, and even headstands in between chores. Check out this list of how many calories you are actually burning while doing household chores, and imagine how much bigger that number could be if you have your momtabolism in mind!
- Sex is a great way to burn calories. Make a pact with your partner to have sex everyday for a week and see the results it has on your momtabolism and your relationship. I will let you be creative on the calorie burning “menu” of activities in the bedroom 🙂
- Keep drinking water all day long! If your body starts to get a little bit dehydrated, it won’t function properly, leading to a slower metabolism and low energy. Keep drinking ladies!
- For the coffee loving Mama–keep in mind that by drinking black coffee you can give your momtabolism an instant boost!
Overall, I have just been trying to stay active all day. Even though I live in the city, I have learned that I can’t just rely on all the walking to the subway to burn the amount of calories that I need in order to lose the weight I want. This goes for any Mama, anywhere. Even if you are very active, you need to change your routine because your body can get really used to the same thing being done over and over. What is your favorite of the ways to boost your metabolism? Comment below! Fashionably Yours, Allison