Whether you have been following runway trends or not, you have certainly noticed how crop tops are making a comeback. This time though, crop tops are actually being associated with the word “chic”–because the modern ones are. Nothing trashy about this summer trend!
I recently had a client come to me, a mother of 3 children–I must point out, asking, “Allison, can you please help me find a way to rock an age appropriate crop top this summer?!” I thought that since it’s becoming a popular topic of discussion I would outline the easy resolution of rocking crop tops in a blog post for you ALL to read!
Crop Tops–How to Rock Them At Any Age & Size
- While the pictures above are showing about four inches of the “mid-drift”- that isn’t how it has to be! One trend this season is to wear high-waisted bottoms such as a form fitting pencil skirt or high-waisted trousers, and pair them with a longer length crop top–only showing of a SMALL section of midriff.
- Look for crop tops that are shorter in the front and longer in the back to minimize your exposure, making it flirty instead of in-your-face.
- Make sure you are focused on proportions. If you are showing off your mid-section, don’t be revealing too much anywhere else.
- If you don’t want to completely take the plunge and show off your belly, but are still dying to rock this trend – try buying a sheer blouse (long sleeve in the winter, short or sleeveless in the summer) and throwing it on underneath your crop. This way you are being bold, without being too bold! Plus, layers are so flattering and add depth to any look!
- Cut outs are another fun solution to rock crop tops with a flirty hint of exposure.
- Seams are everything whenever it comes to finding the perfect fit, especially with crop tops! Use them as a guide! For instance, if you are opting for a boxy type crop top, make sure that your neckline and shoulder seams are laying properly on your body, making it appear that you are thinner instead of overweight.
- Speaking of boxy, we are seeing more and more oversized, boxy tops made with very structured materials for spring & fall 2015, make sure the one you choose fits you right! I recommend that if you are wearing something boxy on top, wear something very sleek on the bottom to keep the balance.
Need more fashion tips and designer inside scoop? Join us and our thousands of Project Motherhood Insiders as we take on this motherhood, fashion journey together. Subscribe HERE!