From day one, Branden has been a picky eater, a grazer, a take three hours to eat one meal kinda guy. I hide veggies in fresh pressed juice and smoothies that we make at home all the time, but there are two things sort of out of the ordinary that B will devour: chick peas and lima beans. Once I made this discovery, we started making our own hummus and these super crunchy, spicy roasted chick peas on a weekly basis.
It’s a very easy recipe that we use as a healthy snack year round! They are also really fun to make to your families specific tastes. Ironically, Branden also loves everything spicy, so we make this version with extra cayenne pepper (if you are ever low on your water intake for the day, make these and you will be chugging in no time), but you can change it up a bit if you like. You can easily make a sweet version by using honey instead of the spices. One thing is certain – these spicy roasted chick peas will cure any snack attack that comes your way!
- 1 can of chick peas (garbanzo beans)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt, garlic powder, cayenne pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees
- Rinse and dry your chick peas
- Spread them out on the baking sheet
- Sprinkle with remaining ingredients and mix
- Make sure they are laying flat and place in oven
- Bake for about 35 minutes or until crispy - make sure to come back every 10 minutes to check and mix them so they don't burn.
As an added bonus, these spicy roasted chick peas are loaded with protein but very low in calories and fat, making this a great healthy alternative. If you are a peanut lover, these easily replace them and satisfy your need to eat something crunchy.
You can easily double or triple the recipe and store them to have this crunchy snack on hand at all times. No hassle recipes are my favorite, because I’m not one to get super creative in the kitchen. And I love that Branden always jumps in to help, learning how to mix and measure, then taste his finished product!
Have you ever roasted chick peas? Which seasonings did you use?